From the stone bench at the back of the castle, there are views of Ringelmose Forest and Kalø Castle ruin. Here is the perfect starting point for a walk and subsequent coffee from the thermos on the stone bench. The castle is on the opposite side of the road in relation to the Visitor Center Karlsladen.
It was built in the years 1898-99 to Martin Johan Jenisch when he came from Germany with family, guests, and servants. The architect was the well-known Hack Kampmann, who worked with painter and decorator Carl Hansen Reistrup. The two are also behind Toldboden, Marselisborg Castle and Aarhus Theater in Aarhus.
The German affiliation of the family had a fatal significance when World War II came.
The German Jenisch family was popular in the area, but there was no hesitation in the Danish state. Denmark’s compensation claim after the war was 11.6 billion DKK, so German-owned property was confiscated. The family had owned the castle since 1824.
Today, the National Park Mols Mountains Secretariat is housed in the Hunting Castle.