History of the Railway Museum
Djurslands Jernbanemuseum was established in 1981.
The initiators were Ryomgaard Borgerforening in collaboration with the Association for the Conservation and Expansion of Djurslands Jernbaner and, not least, former traffic controller W.M. Rosenvinge, Grenå.
That the museum should be in Ryomgaard was a matter of course. Ryomgård had been Djursland’s railway hub since 1877.
The railway Randers – Ryomgård – Grenaa had been inaugurated in 1876, and the following year, the Århus – Ryomgård section followed. Finally, in 1911 the dedication of the private railway Ryomgård – Gjerrild followed.
In 1986, many guests came and visited the exhibition, “A man, a train and a museum”.
Rosenvinge had become synonymous with the railway museum in Ryomgaard, and it was also him who daily received the guests at the small museum.
Rosenvinge’s career within DSB began in 1919, when he, as a seventeen-year-old, became a traffic officer at Hørning station. In the years that followed, he served various places in the Aarhus area until he came to Grenå, wherein 1957 he became a traffic controller.
In 1972 he resigned from DSB but stayed in Grenå until his death in 1989.
He lived a life for and with the railway, which he earned for 53 years. The precision and care for details that necessarily had to influence the state railways came to characterize Rosenvinge’s life in all areas, and in many ways, he became one with his work at Grenå station.
Museum Road 2